Saturday, February 7, 2009

Fun Times...

It's just after 7PM. I just got home from the dentist and pharmacy. I'm still shaking. I'm still sobbing on and off. I have to go back tomorrow for surgery, depending on where my pain level is at in the morning. He was only able to get the canine out today. None of the anesthesia worked. They used the maximum amount allowed, and...nothing. I was in so much pain by this afternoon (the narcotics wore off around 3:30, and the little help they provided was gone by 4) that they were unable to get me even to baseline. They got me to an '8'. That's after 8 amps of Novocaine, an entire box of topical Lidocaine, 800mg Ibuprofen and an injection of Numorphan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymorphone ).

So I told him to take out the canine anyway...no matter how bad it hurt me. It hurt me. Beyond any pain I could have ever imagined, it hurt me. Apparently the entire practice was gathered around me looking horrified and pitiful towards me. They all stopped what they were doing to pull for me. I screamed and screamed and bawled my head off and screamed and screamed some more. (Think horror movie where someone is being disemboweled by an alien or something) I almost passed out and I guess they were starting to get worried that I was going to go into cardiac arrest or have a stroke, 'cause they wouldn't allow the second procedure no matter how much I was begging to "JUST GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD". Just thinking about it is making me tearful again. It was the single most horrifying, scary and painful experience that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy (if I had one). OMG. I can't even think of a way to tell any of you how traumatic it was. I'm STILL shaking....and it's taking me a while to type this because my nerves are shot and my vision is a little blurry.

I can't talk, so nobody try and call me for a day or two.

I'm sorry if this is graphic. None of it is exaggerated, I have plenty of witnesses. I think that's why I'm sharing it with you. It seems so unreal to me, and I need to do this to help substantiate the experience in my head and make it more real, so I can get over it. I'm still freaked out, but I begged the Dr. to continue. I couldn't live with that pain for another night. They were going to try and give me the Numorphan shot, the Novocaine and a bottle of pain meds to take home tonight and try to get me to baseline by morning, but I knew that it wouldn't work out that way....which is why I made the decision to just go ahead with the 1st extraction....relieve some of the pressure so we could continue without needing to max me out on the anesthesia. I'm afraid to go again tomorrow. It's the 1st time I've ever been afraid of the dentist. When I had my wisdom teeth pulled by Dr. Taylor 2 years ago, it was cake. It hurt afterward, but the pain meds took care of it....unlike this. What a nightmare. I'm still going...afraid or not...I want this taken care of so bad that I'm willing to put myself through almost anything to see it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment